Come summer, salads become such a refreshing snacking option. I think, one can make salads out of any food item at home. Even if you don’t have fancy salad dressings or salad leaves at home, simple, rustic, homemade salads can turn out to be heroes just as well.
A simple salad can be given a facelift with pomegranate, a highly nutritious fruit rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin B5 and a rich source of anti-oxidants. Sometimes, eating a pomegranate can be tedious or boring, but you can add it to a salad to spare the boredom.
This is one of the salads that I make very often at home, especially before dinner.
- Cucumber – 1 large, finely chopped
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Tomato – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Pomegranate – 1 large/ medium
- Organic rock salt – according to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Italian seasoning – a pinch
- Honey – 1 tsp
- Flax seeds – 1-2 tsps
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- In a large glass bowl, mix all the chopped cucumber, onion, tomato, pomegranate and chill it in the refrigerator.
- Before serving, mix extra virgin olive oil, organic rock salt, Italian seasoning, honey, lemon juice and mix well in a separate bowl.
- Pour and mix the dressing well and add the flax seeds at the end and serve the salad chilled.
I always try to prepare my salads just before meals, so the freshness is intact and the flavours come through. If you don’t have organic rock salt, you can make do with regular salt or with chaat masala and if you don’t have honey, you can substitute it for sugar or jaggery. However, it is advisable to always use the healthier option, but if it is not possible, regular salt/ sugar will do.