These are the recipes that have brightened up my days when Ma would cook up a delicious spread for the entire family. It was one time that brought us all together and we shared our day’s events, laughed, joked – and thankfully we did not have mobile phones at that time, so the phones would seldom ring during meal times!
I enjoy cooking for the sheer enjoyment of it and if I get bored – hey, there’s always a takeout!
This is one of those mundane days where I just wanted to pep up my mood minus the spice for lunch; so it’s slightly on the sweeter side, as I’ve omitted the heat of the black peppers, but I have added the naughtiness of the green chillies, the flirty colour of the red chillies and tomatoes for a tangy character.
I know, the photo looks rather messy, but I was hungry and when in hunger just cook and eat! Seriously, I still can’t think of a good title for this recipe, so far just calling it ‘Jhatpat Prawns’; try it, you may like it too!
- Prawns – 250 gms, cleaned and deveined
- Onion paste – 2 tbsp
- Tomato – 1 medium coarsely chopped
- Green chillies – 1 no.
- Salt – to taste
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – 3 – 5 nos. (optional)
- Fresh coriander leaves – 1 – 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Mustard oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Heat mustard oil to smoking point and sauté the prawns until they change colour. Remove and set aside.
- In the same oil add the onion paste, curry leaves and a broken green chillie.
- Fry until it changes colour, add the spice powders one by one and mix well.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and a little water to help them blend.
- Drop in the semi cooked prawns and coat well.
- Check for seasoning, once done, add the chopped coriander and serve hot
Share your recipe!
Have a quick fix recipe such as this one? Well then how about sharing it with us and our readers? Send us your quick fix recipe in the above format with a couple of good photographs (preferably shot in daylight) to firstname.lastname@example.org!