Portuguese Egg Tart (Pasteis de Nata)
On the occasion of World Tourism Day, The Lifestyle Portal had a chance to interview internationally acclaimed celebrity Chef David Wong, who shared two beautiful Macanese recipes exclusive to our readers.
Today, we share with you a unique recipe – Portuguese Egg Tart (Pasteis de Nata).
Ingredients for 30 portions
- Cake flour kg 2
- Salt g 15
- Sugar g 80
- Water lt 1
- Butter ( unsalted ) kg 1.5
- Cake flour g 200
- Egg yolk pcs 18
- Sugar g 300
- Whipping cream lt 1
- Milk ml 500
To make the Dough – Method
- To make the dough, in a mixer, mix the flour, salt, sugar and water for a few seconds.
- Remove and reserve rolled in a shape into a ball. Rest it for 30 minutes in a fridge.
- Separately, for the butter mix, mix the unsalted butter with the flour and roll it flat into a square shape about 0.5 inches thick.
- After 30 minutes rest roll out the first ball into a square shape about 0.5-inch thickness.
- Lay the butter mix on top-fold, roll out and treat like puff pastry ( 3,4,3 folding )
- Roll out the whole dough into 1/8 inch thickness and roll it inwards like you would roll a rug before storing it.
- Cut this long cylinder into 1 foot long pieces. Place into the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Take it out from the cooler and cut the 1 foot long cylinders into discs of about 0.5 inches thick, press it with your fingers and mould the dough into your egg tart mould, covering completely the internal sides of the mould.
- Reserve in the fridge for 20 minutes.
To make the Egg Tart Filling – Method
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and egg yolks together and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Pass the whole mix through a strainer and allow 20 minutes to rest.
- Pour into the mould and bake in a 230C preheated oven for 20 minutes until the top is slightly burnt.
- Remove and don’t eat until it has cooled down at least 30 minutes. 🙂
Sprinkle some cinnamon powder before serving.
Share your recipes with our readers at The Lifestyle Portal:
Have an exciting recipe to share? Send us your original recipes with high-quality pics to firstname.lastname@example.org to get your recipe published! Don’t forget to send us your profile pic and a short bio to go with it.