By Priya Narayan
Summer brings with it a lot of heat, increased thirst, and reduced appetite. Often people tend to consume more liquids and they minimize the intake of solid food. However, there are some power foods that we can feast on during summer that help to prevent sunstroke, weakness and to keep our body cool and light.
Once our diet is regulated, our body will remain fit and healthy and we can breeze our way through the hottest summers. Mango, oranges, figs, papaya, watermelon, grapes, guava and muskmelon are some of the commonly available summer fruits. Radish, cucumber, bell peppers, squash and beetroot are some of the commonly available summer vegetables. Coolers, smoothies, juices, coconut water, soups and salads top the summer friendly diet.
Lemon sweet potato salad
Mrs Vijayalakshmi Vaidyanathan, a Mumbai based caterer suggests this healthy recipe stay fit this summer.
- 2kgs of sweet potatoes scrubbed, rinsed and cut into halves or quarters
- 1 tablespoon salt
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Finely grated zest from 1 medium lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp mustard paste
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fill a large pot with water and 1 tbsp salt. Stir to combine, then add the potatoes. The water should cover the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the flame. Cook until potatoes are tender, it takes around 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes well.
- Prepare the dressing by combining all the dressing ingredients in a bowl. Mix it well.
- Pour the dressing over warm potatoes and stir gently to coat. Taste and season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle a bit more olive oil just before serving.
Publish your recipes on The Lifestyle Portal:
Have an exciting recipe to share? Send us your original recipes with high-quality pics to firstname.lastname@example.org to get your recipe published! Don’t forget to send us your profile pic and a short bio to go with it.