Sakkara Pongal for Navratri
By Priya Narayan
This dessert is a popular naivedyam (prasad) in South India. It is auspicious to make this and offer during one of the Navratri days. Here is a simple recipe to help you make this mouthwatering sweet dish.
- Half glass rice
- Half glass yellow moong dal
- 1 glass jaggery
- 2 glass water
- 1 glass milk
- 2 tsp ghee
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- A handful of cashew nuts and raisins
- Dry roast the rice and dal separately till you get an aroma.
- Pressure cook the dal and rice with the said quantity of milk and water altogether for 4-5 whistles.
- Fry the cashews and raisins in ghee till light brown.
- In a separate pan add 1/4 glass water and jaggery and keep on stirring till the jaggery melts. After it melts cook for additional 5-7 minutes till you get a strong aroma of melted jaggery.
- Remove the cooked rice and dal mixture and mash it well.
- Add it to the melted jaggery and cook for 3 -5 minutes.
- Add cardamom powder and fried chew and raisins and mix well.
- Serve piping hot in a brass urli.
Recipe & Photograph by: Priya Narayan
One thought on “Sakkara Pongal for Navratri”
Wow. It seems really beautiful Priya Narayan good job.😊💐 thank u for introducing some good taste for change. appreciate that thank u.keep it up.