One of the most popular accompaniments that can be had with daal and rice, is often made in most Bengali and Bihari households. Bottle gourd or lauki as we all know is an excellent vegetable with cooling properties. After a partyhangover if you have a light lauki curry made the Bengali way along with rice, it is very soothing to the system. We know what all can be made with lauki, koftas, curries – the works. But have you tried having the peels? They are not only delicious but very high in nutritive value. My mom makes this for us on a Sunday lunch, which is a favourite even amongst those who are not too fond of veggies.
- Bottle gourd peel – of one big bottle gourd
- Onion – thinly sliced
- Khus Khus (Poppy seeds or Posto) – 1-2 tbsp
- If you don’t have khus khus, use sooji/ rava – 1 – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil – 3-4 tbsp
- Thinly slice the bottle gourd peel and place it in a pan with salt water and give it a boil.
- Discard the water and keep the semi-boiled peel aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and add fry the onions until golden brown and the khus khus.
- Now add the semi-boiled peel and keep frying for a few minutes.
- Stir fry until cooked and the crisp.
- Serve hot along with daal and rice combination.