She shares her first recipe from God’s Own Country – a traditional Kerala chicken curry recipe, best served with steamed rice. Some days ago we published a simple chicken curry recipe from Bengal, now how about a taste from Kerala! 🙂
This recipe was passed down to Kasturi by her childhood friend Mini Nair’s mom, here it goes…
- Chicken – 1/2 kg
- Onions, sliced – 3 medium
- Ginger-garlic paste – 3 tsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp.
- Garam masala/pepper powder – 2 tsp.
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp.
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Curry leaves – handful
- Coconut milk powder – 3 tbsp mixed with 1/2 cup warm water
- Clean and wash chicken pieces and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add onions. Add a pinch of salt and cover with a lid.
- Put on simmer till onions turn soft and mushy.
- Add in ginger-garlic paste and fry till light brown.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala/pepper powder, curry leaves and salt. Fry till fragrant.
- Put in chicken. Fry on high till masala coats chicken well. Pour 1 cup of water. Let it come to a boil. Cover with a lid and simmer till chicken is tender.
- Lastly, add the coconut milk powder mixed with warm water. Adjust gravy according to your preference. Garnish with curry leaves.
About our reader:
Time has flown since then and I have come of age as far as cooking is concerned. From parathas that looked like supersonic aircraft I have graduated slowly with able mentoring from many friends, relatives and of course the Internet.A true Bengali by nature, I naturally find non vegetarian dishes more interesting to make and more so desserts! Baking happened all of a sudden at Vishakapatnam and the zest for perfection has made me spend more and more time mastering the nuances. What keeps me going? Well, compliments from people who enjoy fine dining and most of all, my ever hungry husband!
You too can Share your Recipe!
You too can share a recipe from your kitchen which has been passed down from your mom or granny.
It doesn’t matter if it is a simple one, as long as it is an original or a traditional recipe from your home. Send us the recipes with photographs clicked by you and your profile to email@example.com and we will publish it.