So here’s a little slice of the rainbow that one of our avid readers and followers Shruti Chopra shares with us – the very delicious and happy Rainbow Cake!
We chatted with her about her love for baking and how she got into this fun, creative and a delicious hobby! Read on…
MY JOURNEY INTO BAKING
In my 9 years of marriage I have hardly entered the kitchen thanks to my hectic work schedule and higher studies. I completed my LLB in 2002 before marriage and my Company Secretaries’ course in 2006.
Being blessed with a lovely baby girl, (2008) Shriya, who changed my life I continued my studies and pursued my MBA (Finance) (2011). Leave alone baking, entering the kitchen was a rare task and I was hugely depended on the domestic help.
With my husband being transferred into a tier 2 city, I decided to make most of this opportunity and entered the beautiful world of baking.
I am a self motivated baker and after several “hit and trial” and web knowledge have mastered some cakes and desserts.
My confidence was on a major high when I started the Naval Wives Welfare Associate (NWWA) BAKE SALE at Vizag and children there would eagerly wait for my bake sales and everything would be over in a jiffy.
So here’s a beautiful Rainbow cake recipe for about 10- 12 people (if there are more people just double the ingredients):
(a) 1 CUP FLOUR (ATTA)
(b) I CUP CASTOR SUGAR
(c) 3 EGGS
(d) 1 CUP OIL OR 100 GMS BUTTER
(e) 1 TSP BAKING POWDER
(f) 1 TSP VANILLA ESSENCE
(g) DIFFERENT FOOD COLORS –(AS MANY AS YOU LIKE)
- Beat the eggs and sugar till fluffy. Gradually add oil/butter, vanilla essence and beat again for a min.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and add to (A) and mix.
- Now divide your batter into equal quantity (I used equal size katoris or for measuring one can also use ice cream scoop spoon) depending on the number of colours you have ie. if you have 4 colours divide your batter equally into 4 different bowls.
- Now in each bowl add a drop of color and mix well so u will have 4 (or more/less) bowls with 4 coloured (or more/less) batter.
- Grease a baking dish with butter/oil and put butter paper /parchment paper at the base.
- According to the colour combination you like take the first colour batter (say red) and put it in the greased baking dish.
- Pat your baking dish atleast ten times on your slab so that the colour batter (red) spreads evenly and there is no air in it.
- Now Take the second colour batter(say blue) and put it on the first colour batter (red) already in the greased baking dish and pat hard on slab again so that the second colour (blue) spreads evenly on the first colour batter(red).
- Repeat for as many colours.
- Pre heat your oven at 200 c for 5 min and bake at 200 c for 30 min or until done.
Cool and enjoy the colorful smiles on your family and friends. 😀
[scg_html_carrot] Share your recipe:
You too could share a recipe with us. Simply send us an original recipe or a one you like the most from your favourite cookery show, cook book or chef. Write your recipe in a simple word doc, along with a few (high resolution) pictures of your dish and of yours as well and send it to email@example.com.