Here’s the second recipe by Kasturi De that she vouches that we all will love; especially kids who enjoy seafood!
- Prawns – 250 gms
- Macaroni – 3 cups
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Flour – 3 tbsp
- Butter – 3 tbsp
- Milk – 3 cups
- Cheese, grated – 1/2 cup
- Pepper corns, freshly crushed – 1 tsp
- Ajinomoto (optional) – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Devein and wash prawns well. Marinate with a pinch of salt and keep aside.
- Take water in a large pan. Bring it to a rolling boil. Add the pasta and cook till al dente. Strain under running water and keep aside.
- Add olive oil to a non-stick pan. Add the marinated prawns. Flip each prawn till it changes colour and turns pink. Drain prawns and keep aside.
- In the same pan add butter. After butter melts, add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring for 5 minutes or so. Do not let the flour turn brown. Take off from heat and let this butter-flour mixture cool. Then add the milk slowly while whisking it all the time. Add crushed pepper, ajinomoto and salt. Return the pan to heat and boil the sauce till it thickens to the desired consistency.
- Take an oven proof dish and grease it with a little butter or olive oil.
- Add the boiled pasta and the sautéed prawns. Pour the white sauce all over.
- Cover with grated cheese. Bake in a preheated oven at 220 degrees till cheese melts.
- In case you are not planning to bake the dish right away and would like to assemble it in advance, do not thicken the white sauce too much. White sauce tends to thicken if kept for a long time.
- You can use whole wheat flour (atta) for the white sauce instead of flour. It tastes almost the same.
- If you have Tabasco, do add a few drops. It adds an amazing zing to the dish.
- You can use either cheddar or mozzarella to add on top. For those who are watching their weight, you can replace the cheese with breadcrumbs.
Share your Recipe
You too can share a recipe from your kitchen which has been passed down from your mom or granny.
It doesn’t matter if it is a simple one, as long as it is an original or a traditional recipe from your home.
Send us the recipes with photographs clicked by you and your profile to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will publish it.